16 October 2014

Jimmy Giuffre-Music for People Birds Butterflies and Mosquitoes 1973+ River Chant 1975

 Jimmy Giuffre genre bender extraordinaire, without who's contribution contemporary free improvised music might not even exist ..or would at least be very different.

.He did it before AMM, SME,MEV.. or any other Acronymed cats!....

Innovative arranger with Woody Herman in the 40's,inventor of folk inflected chamber
Jazz,,............pioneer of so called third stream... and  in a lesser trawled period as on these lp's synthesiser of a raw rhythmically but paradoxically ethereal.. propulsive  freewheeling free Jazz,with strong Asian and African accents ....and the tunes are in no way generic or anodyne (despite the track titles new age connotations)

Giuffre had the gift here of a flexible creative rhythm section ..(where the F..are they now?), huge dynamic range .. extraordinary MAGICO empathy!

Damned...these records are ., too beautiful ,for this grotesque corrupting physical reality we are obliged to inhabit..or think we inhabit... trapped in some Devils dream time!

I know the Choice catalogue has been reissued in Japan circa early thousands , i think there was also an abridged reissue culled from both these lp's .. but that's long gone too..i think!

enjoy!



20 comments:

SOTISE said...

FLAC-PIcs
http://4tfv9t94h5.1fichier.com/

bventure said...

Many thanks sotise, I remember the first time I heard Free Fall, was completely knocked out, and still am. Recorded over 50 years ago and still no-one has caught up with it.

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

Wow Sotise - one of these two LPs I've never seen - the Demon one - and none of the two I have listened to.
Great, great!
Will come back after listening to it.
Thank you......

wightdj said...

Thanks, check out JG's obit here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/26/arts/music/26giuffre.html?_r=0

Unknown said...

Thank you for making this available. I have to admit it took me a while to really get into Giuffre was doing. I look forward to the opportunity to hear more of this music.

john said...

Thanks; I agree about Free Fall, wonderful and under-valued album. Your new posting plugs a gap and is very welcome.

armando said...

Than you very much SOTISE. When I got the double ECM box set Jimmy Giuffre 3, 1961 (consisting of Thesis and Fusion) I was shocked, and I started look for recordings by this outstanding musician. From exquisite West Coast to free (in the most litteral meaning) music, it should be very little musicians making this exciting trip.
Thanks a lot!

magogiallo said...

ifound many times ago river chant in mp3 somewhere on the net and I was really surprised, an amazing record.I tried to find it to buy, but nothing, to look for it in a better format, but nothing....so thank you very much for this upgrade.
I even tried to find some other giuffre records from the seventies, but nothing so thank u again to give me the chance to listen it

corvimax said...

a musician that I wanted to know better, here is a special occasion, thank you SOTISE

Unknown said...

River Chant is truly a beautiful record. Meditative and spiritual. The playing by all three is terrific. I will have to look up the other recordings that Tokunaga is on.

Thanks again SOTISE.

Wallofsound said...

This really is a treat. Many, many thanks.

Greeny said...

Thanks, SOTISE, great choice (...); Giuffre is ... different... pure pleasure...

Solomon said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thks Sotise. Pure dope! Jimmy never failed to illuminate our mental spaces. The sound of the unknown. Didn't stop listening to it for days.
Inconstant is the place!
zardoz1984

Anonymous said...

Oogah-chakka!!!! PBB??? A piece of the Giuffre universe never experienced ... pardon me while I lock the door and put this on to play.

arigato much, sotise

be said...

Wow, thanks so much. I have wanted to hear this albums ever since I became a Paul Bley groupie decades back

nodyerrech said...

Hi Sotise and all the community.
Both albums have been reissued on cd and are very easy to find. For a reason that I can't explain the titles have been changed.
-Music for people birds butterfly & mosquitoes become night train
-river chant become the train and the river.
the order title is also different but all the tracks are on those two cd's.

francisco santos said...

BIG THX!...

mike said...

Hi, could we get a re-up? Especially the "People, Birds, Butterflies" album?

Thanks in advance!

mike said...

Nevermind, I see the re-issues with new names.