16 July 2013

THE KINGS OF SMING - THE KINGS OF SMING (CARGO CULTURE ENTERPRISES, 1984)




The Kings of Sming was the first live jazz that I heard (some of the first jazz that I heard), after Robert Leriche had taken over from Perry White on sax. I was lucky to catch them several times around Toronto. If they had not been enjoyable, I might not have been on IS now. If anyone has tapes from their CBC session or live performances that they would like to share, do let me know.

1. Basement Wanderer / Ditteo / Heads Up
2. Jessica's Lament
3. Tango Oreo
4. Under The Double Standard / Lift Off
5. Jazz In The Zebra Zone / Alter Ego / Funky Fool

Paul Cram, alto saxophone, tenor saxophone, clarinet
Perry White, tenor saxophone, soprano saxophone
James Young, bass
John Lennard, drums

Recorded 29 June 1984, Toronto

Cargo Culture Enterprises, self-released cassette tape

Cassette Tape Rip

... and an earlier incarnation with Friedhelm Schonfeld on sax on You Tube


4 comments:

wightdj said...

I've heard a Paul Cram LP before, this looks good, thanks.

Nick said...


AD

ZS

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

Yes I discovered the video last year or so. But only at the end of the film I realised that it was Schönfeld, although I knew that he lived in Toronto for at least from 1983 to 1985.
Thanks for some more music from the realively unknown Canadian scene. Definitely undeserved IMO - but you are helping to rectify this desideratum.

correct silence said...

Thank you Nick for the re-upp and to bring a spot on this almost unknown scene. This tape is very interesting, the writing of the tracks is really original, a precious addition to any free jazz collection.