23 July 2013

PAUL DUNMALL / STEVE MELLING QUARTET Tribute to Coltrane. 1994
















This would have been a gig by the Alan Skidmore Qt. but for some reason Skid couldn't make it and Paul Dunmall agreed to stand in for him.  Although Paul is a massive Coltrane fan it is only recently in his duets with Tony Bianco that he has been concentrating on using his tunes.  So at the time this was an unusual thing for him to be doing.  I think he relished it as much as the audience and the rest of the band did.  Steve Melling, Arnie Somogyi and Mark Taylor couldn't be bettered as a superb rhythm section.  Enjoy!

Er...ok, there's the blurb.  I messed up and had to reupload the files.  I thought I might as well actually LISTEN to the music.....  It's TOTALLY, UTTERLY, WONDERFULLY, WONDERFUL.  The good old Andy cassette recording sounding GOOD.  Turn it up and have a blast.  STUPENDOUS JAZZY JAZZ!!!

PAUL DUNMALL, tenor and soprano saxophone
STEVE MELLING, piano
ARNIE SOMOGYI, bass
MARK TAYLOR, drums

Set 1

1. Softly as in a morning sunrise  12:50
2. Lonnie's lament  13:43
3. On Green Dolphin Street  10:32
4. In a sentimental mood  9:56
5. Mr. PC  12:24

Set 2

1. Giant steps  7:15
2. Afro blue  16:12
3. I want to talk about you / Amen  18:09
4. Some other blues  12:10
5. Spiritual  10:36

Pymms, Derby.  21st May 1994.

15 comments:

Andy said...

FLAC

Rapidshare

Set 1

Set 2

Mega

Set 1

Set 2

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for this superb gig. Great rhythm section too.

martin said...

Thank you very much for this.
Actually, my first jazz gig was a scorching Tony Levin and Chris Bolton club night (in the mid '80's?) starring Alan Skidmore AND Paul Dunmall. The pianist for the night later confessed to me that he spent the entire gig doing little more than trying to keep out of the crossfire.

joesh said...

I'll be checking this out looks interesting. Thanks.

wightdj said...

Appreciated, thanks.

howard cottle said...

Hi Andy,

I was happily doing my accounts, and i played these two sets and wow! I'm back in my practice hut my accounts can wait.

Thanks for transforming my day.
Howard.

Andy said...

@ martin. Barton's Arms? I first came across Paul Dunmall playing with Alan Skidmore, Paul Rogers and Tony Levin in Tenor Tonic.

martin said...

@Andy. Yes the Bartons Arms in Newtown. Well well well well well well well well!

Anonymous said...

Great! Thanks very much Andy

Mara said...

thanks a lot!!!

corvimax said...

thank you, I like this side of Paul Dunmall, see also "Thank You to John Coltrane" with Tony Bianco

softnucleus said...

A million of thanks for this gem, Andy! By the way we would need more "El Skid" recordings... :-)

Andy said...

New links. 1Fichier

Set1
Set2

Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise to find this with new links. You may not be the Heavyweight Champ, Andy, but you're a champ nonetheless. Jay

sandor essedy said...

Thanks for the re-up.