9 February 2012

RAVI SHANKAR "CHAPPAQUA" (CBS, 1966)





Fond memories... - before I even knew about Ornette Coleman's "Chappaqua Suite" I bought this LP as a teenager. The cover was the reason I spend my little money.
When I got to know Coleman's version my copy of the Shankar LP was already gone...
Some weeks ago I found it second-hand for a few bucks and enjoyed it again after more then thirty years...

A jazz inflected soundtrack for the movie from Conrad Brooks - no information about the musicians on the cover except:




RAVI SHANKAR "CHAPPAQUA"


Ravi Shankar, sitar

other musicians unknown


A1. Chappaqua 02:22
A2. Running Deer 02:56
A3. Allah Rocking 05:02
A4. Om 01:32
A5. Raga Miniatue 04:16
B1. Back To Earth 04:51
B2. Raga 03:19
B3. Sweet Russell 01:06
B4. Orgy 01:39
B5. Theme 04:25

Music written by Ravi Shankar and Phil Glass.

CBS – S 63 384 (1966)

(lp rip)

.

12 comments:

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

https://rapidshare.com/files/2336130520/Ravi_Shankar_Chappaqua.rar

jackalope said...

Was this the inspiration for Ornette's suite? I'm looking forward to hearing it for the first time, then going back to the Ornette album. Thanks, Onx!

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

To my knowledge Conrad Brooks thought that Coleman's music (which was first!) would be a bit too strong - the music would have detracted the watchers from the pictures...
Then he asked Ravi Shankar...

Calisan said...

Realmente interesante para profundizar en Ornette!
Gracias!

Bhowani said...

onek Dhonnobad, onxidlib ! no need to say that I've never seen this Shankar's LP before ! that's a great shot !

Anonymous said...

Thank You Very Much!:-)

arnold paole said...

Wow!!! Just A Few Minutes Ago A Friend Send Me The Opening Sequence Of The Film And I Was Wondering If It Had Anything To Do With Ornette And Just Here I Found All My Questions Answered...As Always, Great Quality Here. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

more info here - http://standinatthecrossroads-blackcatbone.blogspot.com/2010/07/chappaqua-1966-film-directed-by-conrad.html

wightdj said...

Great to hear this set, thanks.

cmcordob said...

Gracias!

arun tokas said...

Allah Rakha(Zakir Hussain's father) is on the tabla.

Ernst Grgo Nebhuth said...

Thanks for input!